1. The main responsibility of the Sub-office shall be to support the planning and implementation of IPY-projects in the Eurasian Arctic including the Russian area in full co-operation with IPY IPO.
Especially, its activities will be the following:
a) improving co-operation and co-ordination of research, e.g. by establishment close communications with IPY participants, developing of information Web-portal, consultancy support etc.;
b) performing the pre-project studies focused on estimation the expected environmental and climatic conditions during IPY and their impact on research and logistics;
c) collecting and distribution of metadata on infrastructure facilities, logistics and observation programs;
d) assess the ability of existing infrastructure to meet IPY requirements
2. The Sub-office will complement and support IPY IPO activities relating to the Eurasian Arctic including its Russian segment;
3. The Sub-office activities are related closely to international and national institutions and programs such as, for example, FARO, European Polar Consortium (EPC) etc., performing the activities in the Eurasian Arctic;
4. The Sub-office will be hosted by the Arctic and Antarctic Research Institute of Roshydromet (AARI) in St. Petersburg, Russia and use the base of the AARI infrastructure for its activities including the Russian-German Otto Schmidt Laboratory for Polar and Marine Research and Russian-Norwegian AARI/NPI "Fram" Arctic Climate Research Laboratory;
5. The Sub-office will initially consist of a staff of two-three English speaking persons, who have good knowledge in polar activities;
6. Financing for the Eurasian IPY Sub-office will be provided by the interested Russian and foreign agencies and institutions (including AARI, NPI, AWI, NSF/OPP, SPRS) until one year past the conclusion of IPY.
7. Sponsoring organizations will establish an oversight Committee.